Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Breakfast is Back Baby!

Naniboujou Lodge:
Best Breakfast Buffet I've Experienced (Not Vegan Friendly)

I love breakfast. I love everything about it from the pancakes, to waffles, to scrambled eggs with cheese, thick cut maple bacon, sausage and orange juice. It makes my mouth water just to daydream of the feast. Is there anything better than an amazing breakfast buffet?

However, now that I'm not eating animal products, is my love affair with breakfast over? Is it condemned to variations of oatmeal, raisin bran and green smoothies?  Actually, most of those are pretty good too. But No! There is breakfast after vegan.

Some of the best waffles I've ever had the pleasure to eat

Without high hopes, we decided to try some vegan waffles. With a little modification from this recipe, we found success. So much so that we ate them two mornings in a row and for dinner on a third.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup of soy or almond milk
  • 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp of baking powder
  • Couple shakes of cinnamon
  • Dash of vanilla
  • strawberries or other fruit (optional)
Whisk all together in a bowl and put in a waffle iron to cook to your desired crispness. If batter is too thick, add a little more milk substitute.

Top with fresh fruit and all natural maple syrup.

Breakfast is back baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment