Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Day 15: Eating Plants Doesn't Suck

First off, I wanted to thank all of you who have been checking out what I'm up to here. I know many of you aren't logged in to reply on the actual blog, but your comments on Facebook and Twitter have been extremely flattering and encouraging. I'm as shocked as anyone that people are interested in what I have to say. As of today, the blog has had over 1,000 views!

And as corny as it may sound, as good as it feels to change my life, it feels even better to know that I may be helping some of you to improve yours.

Now on to the topic at hand. Yesterday was another typical day, starting off with a slow 5k on the treadmill, followed up with recycled meals like oatmeal, smoothie, leftover veggie spaghetti, raw cashews, bananas, apples, etc... However, I had an amazing burrito experience the other day at Whole Foods, and no, they are not sponsoring me to keep pumping their food.



It was pretty simple:
  • Whole Wheat Tortilla
  • Brown Rice
  • Black Bean Salsa Mix
  • Fajita Veggies
  • Guacamole 
  • Side of their detox salad

Now what really stood out here, other than the amazing guac, was the fajita vegetables. I have to learn how to make it, and once I do, you'll be the first to hear about it. The internet seems oddly quiet on the matter, so I'll take a pic of the ingredients when I'm there tomorrow.

But I was equally surprised at the taste of their detox salad. I found out how to make it via Food 52. My theory? Toss all this in the food processor and enjoy. If you don't have a food processor, perhaps one of your best buddies will trick you into going to a pampered chef party by telling you his friend is going to cook you food for some kind of chef class and then you can buy one of those hand chopping things there. Not that this ever happened to me.


Detox Salad - photo by Jennifer Trennum


Food Chopper you may or
may not have been tricked
into buying.
Ingredients:
heads broccoli
2 1/2 cups of roughly cut cauliflower florets
large carrots, roughly chopped
3/4 cups chopped parsley
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raisins
cup dired currants
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper



On a side note, I finally got below 200lbs today! It's been a long time since the first number on the scale started with a one and although this experience is not focused on weight loss, but rather overall health, it feels pretty good to be slimming down! You know what? Eating plants doesn't suck!


No comments:

Post a Comment